“I believe in telling the whole story of those who are marginalized. I chose to come to the United Way because I believe in the mission and wanted to be a part of the solution, not just talk about the problems. This role is important because it creates both social and economic solutions.”
Michael serves as Managing Director of Employment, Opportunity & Entrepreneurship of United Way of Greater Philadelphia and Southern New Jersey (UWGPSNJ) but is best described as our Opportunity Expert. Michael leads the EOE pillar, providing equitable access to both entrepreneur and career opportunities and advancement in our region’s job and labor markets.
Prior to joining UWGPSNJ, Michael was the President & CEO of the African American Chamber of Commerce of Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware, a financial controller for a Philadelphia startup and Vice President for Citibank in their Derivatives Markets division. Michael’s experience allows our team to develop UWGPSNJ initiatives that support underrepresented entrepreneurs and business leaders, employ individuals in low-income communities, and train individuals experiencing high barriers to the workforce.
Michael holds a bachelor’s degree in Urban Studies from Pennsylvania University. He has served on the board of the African American Chamber of Commerce of Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware, PHL Diversity, Mann Center for Performing Arts, Clarifi, UWGPSNJ, the Community College of Philadelphia Foundation, The Merchant Fund, and on the Red Cross Diversity and Inclusion Committee.
When not working, Michael stays active with his children, instructing indoor cycling classes, and traveling. He is an avid reader, motivational coach, and the defending BBQ champ in his family.
- University of Pennsylvania Wharton HEMM Conference: Keynote Speaker
- Starbucks: Keynote Speaker
- Philadelphia Sixers: Keynote Speaker
Awards & Certifications
- LEADERSHIP Philadelphia: Fellow
- Philadelphia Tribune: Most Influential 10 under 40
- Philadelphia Business Journal: Most Talented Leaders 40 Under 40
- Philadelphia Business Journal: Top 100 Influential Leaders in the Region
- Philadelphia 76ers Game Changer Award
- Community College of Philadelphia Lifetime Achievement Award
- Pennsylvania Care Associates Community Economic Impact Award