Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
Any working U.S. citizen or legal resident who has valid Social Security number and a combined household income less than $51,000.
What Do I Need to Bring?
- Valid photo ID
- Copy of your 2011 tax return, if available
- Social Security numbers or Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITIN) for you, your spouse and any children born before 12/31/12
- Income documentation, including W-2 forms for all jobs held during the year, and any 1099 forms showing other income for the year
- Bank account information (including account and routing number) or a blank check for direct deposit
- Childcare expenses, including provider’s address and federal ID
- Mortgage statements
- Adoption expenses
- Alimony paid/received
- Notices from IRS or state tax office
- Property tax bills
- College tuition or student loan statements
*If you have lost or don’t have all of these items, you can still get your taxes prepared. Call the IRS helpline at 1-800-829-1040 for information on what you need to do or how to obtain replacement documents.
How Do I Access VITA in My Community?
United Way operates the only VITA tax sites in Atlantic County. This year, five sites will be open:
- UWGPSNJ in Atlantic County – 4 East Jimmie Leeds Road, Suite 10, Galloway
- Egg Harbor Township Family Success Center – 3050 Spruce Avenue, Egg Harbor Township
- Atlantic County Library, Egg Harbor City Branch – 134 Philadelphia Avenue, Egg Harbor City
- Richard Stockton College of New Jersey’s Carnegie Library Center – 35 S. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard, Atlantic City
- Hammonton Family Success Center – 310 Bellevue Avenue, Hammonton
Contact 609-404-4483 to schedule an appointment or book online at http://uwgpsnj.appointy.com.
AARP manages VITA sites throughout Burlington County, and with the help of United Way and community volunteers, Burlington County residents can receive free tax preparation at:
- Daniel Keegan Recreation Center – 22 Wood Street, Burlington (no appointment necessary)
- Cinnaminson Library – 1619 Riverton Road, Cinnaminson (Mondays excluding holidays, 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., call 856-829-9340 for appointment)
- Catholic Charities – 801 Burlington Avenue, Delanco (Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., call 856-764-6940 for an appointment)
- Evesham Library – 984 Tuckerton Road, Marlton (Mondays and Wednesdays, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Fridays 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., call 856-983-1444 for an appointment)
- Vaughn Hall – Tabernacle Road and Powhatan Trail, Medford Lakes (Tuesdays, 9 a.m. to noon, no appointment necessary)
- Hope Community Church – 235 West Main Street, Moorestown (call 856-235-0912, ext. 3016) for an appointment)
- Mt. Laurel Library – 100 Walt Whitman Avenue, Mt. Laurel (Fridays, 9:30 a.m. to noon, no appointment necessary)
- Pemberton Library – 16 Broadway, Browns Mills (Mondays and Tuesdays, 8:15 a.m. to noon, no appointment necessary)
- Settler’s Hall – Plymouth Court, Leisuretowne, Southampton (Wednesdays, 1 to 4:30 p.m., no appointment necessary)
- Main Library – 5 Pioneer Boulevard, Westampton (Thursdays except February 21, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., no appointment necessary)
- Senior Center – 429 John F. Kennedy Way, Willingboro (Wednesdays, 8:15 a.m. to 1 p.m., call 609-877-8444 for appointment)
In Camden County, United Way is a charter member of the Camden Asset Network (CAN), a coalition of local non-profit organizations committed to re-launching VITA in Camden City. Our CAN partners include AARP Tax-Aide, Camden County College, Catholic Charities, Diocese of Camden, Center for Family Services, Cramer Hill Community Development Corporation, Hispanic Family Center of Southern New Jersey, Inc., Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Latin America Economic Development Association (LAEDA), Parkside Business & Community In Partnership, Inc. (PBCIP), PathWays PA, and Puerto Rican Unity for Progress (PRUP).
Camden County residents can receive tax preparation services at:
- Parkside Business & Community in Partnership – 1487 Kenwood Avenue, Camden (Saturdays, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.)
- Camden County College, Camden City Campus, 200 N. Broadway, Camden
- Monday, February 18 from 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Last appointment at 6:15 p.m.
- Each tax prep session is limited to 45 minutes
- Monday, February 18 from 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Center for Family Services’ Clementon Family Success Center, 180 White Horse Pike, Clementon
Cramer Hill Community Development Corporation, 1892 River Road, Suite 102, Camden
- Mondays and Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Tuesdays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Site opens 1/28/13. Services provided by appointment only
Hispanic Family Center, 2850 Federal Street, Camden
- February 4, 7, 11, 14, 21, 25, and 28 from 3 to 6 p.m. and February 9 from 12 to 4 p.m.
- March 4, 7, 11, 14, 18, 21, 25, and 28 from 3 to 6 p.m. and March 9 from 12 to 4 p.m.
- April 1,4, 8 and 11 from 3 to 6 p.m.
Puerto Rican United for Progress, 818 South Broad, Camden
- February 15 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- February 28 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Check back for additional site openings. To make an appointment, call 2-1-1, New Jersey’s non-emergency resources hotline.
This year, United Way has partnered with the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (R.S.V.P.) and the Coast Guard Training Center to offer VITA to Cape May County residents at:
- Social Services Building – 4005 Route 9 South, Rio Grande (Tuesday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to noon; call 609-886-3400)
- North Wildwood Senior Center – 10th and Central Avenues, North Wildwood (Wednesdays, 9 a.m. to noon, 609-522-7611)
- Lower Township Senior Center – 2612 Bayshore Road, Villas (Tuesdays, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., call 609-886-5161)
- Victoria Commons – 610 Townbank Road, North Cape May (Saturdays 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., call 609-886-3400)
- Howard Stainton Senior Center – 1735 Simpson Avenue, Ocean City (Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, 1 to 3 p.m., call 609-336-0555)
United Way operated the only VITA sites in Cumberland County last year. This year, three sites will be available for tax assistance:
- Alms Center—28 Martin Luther King, Jr. Way, Bridgeton
- Sun Bank Training Building – 226 Landis Avenue, Vineland
- Family Success Center – 1038 E. Chestnut Street, Vineland
To make an appointment to get your taxes done, or to volunteer as a preparer, greeter or ambassador, call 856-205-1800.
In southeastern Pennsylvania, United Way is working with the Campaign for Working Families (Philadelphia), Montgomery County Asset Building Coalition, and the Delaware County Asset Development Group.
For a list of tax sites in your area, click below: