MAKE TAX TIME A BUDGET BOOSTER
For thousands of households across our region, accessing the right resources during tax season is critical in obtaining a full tax refund. The simple truth is that when taxes are done right, the result could mean valuable tax credits and refunds that go a long way in a family’s annual budget.
According to the IRS, approximately 20% of residents do not claim one of the biggest boosters to family incomes - the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), a refundable credit that can amount to as much as $6,143 per qualifying family- simply because they are unaware of their eligibility, or do not file their taxes. To find out if you are eligible, visit the IRS website.
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
Through our Impact Fund, United Way helps to mobilize our regional volunteer force through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, an IRS-supported tax preparation service through which trained volunteers prepare taxes at no cost for qualifying individuals and families. In 2013, VITA volunteers filed more than 26,000 tax returns across the region, which returned more $35 million to local communities. This year, VITA sites will be open from February 1 through April 15.
How Do I Access VITA?
CLICK HERE for qualification requirements and information on tax preparation sites in your community.
How Do I Volunteer?
Volunteers are needed to serve as tax preparers, greeters, ambassadors and translators for the 2014 tax season. No experience is necessary and training will be provided.
To volunteer in New Jersey, contact
- Atlantic & Cape May Counties – Amanda McGowan, 609-568-1182 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Burlington County – Dawn Rademan, 609-845-1003 or email@example.com
- Camden County – Ib Awoyale, 856-583-1855 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cumberland County – Alice Woods, 856-205-1800 or email@example.com
Southeastern Pennsylvania, contact/visit:
- Delaware County: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Montgomery County: http://www.mcassetbuilding.org/volunteer.php
- Philadelphia County: www.cwfphilly.org/volunteers
Or, File Your Taxes for Free Online
United Way can also help you file your taxes for free, online. For eligibility information, information on the tax credits you qualify for, and an easy-to-follow process, visit www.myfreetaxes.com/phillysjunited